Ketapang tree is a type of tree that grows on shady shorelines and forms a tiered canopy. After growing this plant becomes a shade tree for gardens and roadsides.
In this article, we will discuss in full the benefits, characteristics, types and prices of this plant. To find out, be sure to read it to the end.
Ketapang Tree Taxonomy
The Latin name for ketapang tree is Terminalia catappa and other names such as tarisei, talisei, kalis, kris (West Papua), salrisé (Ignite); sarisa, sirisa, sirisal, sarisalo (Mall.), lisa (Rote); tiliso, tiliho, ngusu (North Maluku)
Meanwhile, foreign languages generally have names Sea almond, Beach almond, Bengal almond, almonds, Talisay tree, Umbrella tree, Singapore almond, Indian almond, Malabar Tropical almond.
Plants native to Southeast Asia and Polynesia to northern Australia. In addition, this poon can also be found in Central America, South America, East Africa, West Africa, Pakistan, India, as well as Madagascar.
Can grow optimally in the lowlands at an altitude of 400 m with a rainfall of 1000-3500 mm per year. Within a year this plant sheds its leaves twice. Meanwhile, the fruit has a layer of cork so that it can float in the water.
The characteristics of the Ketapang tree and its leaves
Able to reach a height of up to 40 m and a trunk thickness of up to 1.5 m. It grows very shady horizontally as well as terraces until it has the appearance of a pagoda.
The shape of the leaves itself is usually very varied, such as the following:
1. The shape of the leaves is wider and generally reaches 3 cm – 9 cm per blade.
2. Ketapang leaves are oval and elongated, and taper at the ends. Another prominent character is the broad leaf end as well as the strong fins and leaf bones.
3. It has a fresh and young color like the leaves of the mangosteen tree. However, it will change color to red or yellow when autumn arrives.
Benefits of Ketapang Trees
This plant has tannin acid, which is good for treating various kinds of human ailments to good for treating betta fish.
# 9 Benefits of Ketapang tree for Betta Fish
1. Increase the endurance of the fish so that they are not susceptible to disease
2. Strengthens also nourishes the fins and scales
3. Lowering the pH of the aquarium water
4. Provides anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effects
5. Become a natural food source for fish
6. Natural remedy for fish
7. Reducing stress fish
8. Help the breeding of wild betta, diamond tetra, red swamp
9. Extends the life of your Betta
# 12 Benefits of Ketapang tree for Human Health
1. According to the health website, ketapang leaf boiled water is very good for the development of the fetus in the womb, because it has a high content of folic acid. However, not all conditions of pregnancy can consume this herbal concoction.
2. Able to reduce diabetes from 25 – 62%, but the effect itself is only visible after 15 days of treatment
3. Inhibits Cancer Growth by 2.6 times after 30 days of exposure to this herb. This occurs because of the anti-carcinogenic properties which are alleged to be able to reduce cancer cells in the body.
4. Treating hepatitis or liver which can be done by using ketapang leaves that are brownish yellow.
5. Ketapang bark itself turns out to be useful for treating canker sores if you eat it regularly.
6. Good for maintaining body immunity because there are antioxidants that make you less susceptible to disease.
7. Improve the function of the mammary glands for mothers who are breastfeeding.
8. Relieves disease Rheumatoid arthritis aka arthritis
9. Able to calm and relax the nervous system.
10. The antioxidant properties found in ketapang leaves can prevent chromosomal damage and provide an anticlastogenic effect.
11. Treating stomach pain because it can kill parasites in the intestines.
12. Cure headaches naturally
# One of Alternative Vegetable Oils Apart from Palm Oil
It turns out that ketapang seeds have similarities with sesame oil, coconut oil and olive oil. This can occur because it is based on physical and chemical properties and the total fat content which functions as a methyl ester
# Natural Dyes
Pepagan is the outermost tissue on the ketapang tree that protects the trunk and leaves of the tree. From this part, it produces a brownish yellow to olive color. So it is not surprising that this tree pepagan is often the ingredient of ink.
5 Types of Ketapang Trees
Consists of many types which can be selected according to taste
1. Ketapang Sentani
The first type is the ketapang kencana sentani tree, which has soft leaves and is difficult to distinguish from other types. Generally functions as a garden decorator and not as a shade.
2. Ketapang Laut (Beach Almond Tree)
Suitable as shade in marine areas because of its lush shape, even tends to be layered. The size itself varies widely from 50-60 cm, while for the best age is 8-10 months. Among other types of tree growth is quite fast, because it can reach 1 meter – 5 meters in 2-3 years.
3. Ketapang Violin
A tree species that is easy to control, it should come as no surprise that it is easy to prune it into dwarf-sized ornamental plants. Has the characteristic of leaves that are wide and face up like a bowl.
4. Ketapang Mini
Suitable as an ornamental plant and shade that resembles a tree. The shape itself is horizontal and layered. It has another name as ketapang kencana because of its smaller leaf size. Suitable for houses that have limited land, because it will not give the impression of being cramped
5. Ketapang Kencana Lhokseumawe
As the name suggests this plant comes from an area in Aceh. If you want to know the difference, it is certainly a bit difficult because it looks similar to Kencana Sentani. But certainly this type is suitable as an ornamental plant.
How to Take Care of Ketapang Trees
To get optimal plant results, do the following treatment steps
# Watering Routine
Just like other trees, in order to grow optimally this plant requires regular watering but not every day. The reason is that giving excessive water can make it arid.
# Provide nutrition
So that plants can grow optimally, provide fertilizer with the same levels. For the type itself, it can be organic or artificial. However, if you want to make it easier to provide inorganic fertilizers, it is the right choice, because it has the right dosage.
Give fertilizer with a span of 2-3 months, avoiding excessive giving because it can make the plant thin and hinder its development.
# Spray Pesticides
Don’t forget to spray pesticides to get rid of annoying pests. However, pay attention to the levels so that you don’t get too often! So that the plants do not die
That’s a complete explanation of the ketapang tree, to meet all the needs of Ruppers gardening hobbies, make sure to have quality products such as Plant Racks, Garden Accessories and Garden Equipment & Supplies.
Get the best prices and exclusive offers by shopping through e-commerce which is a combination of several trusted brands from the Kawan Lama Group.